Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Playing with Negatives

Okay, be prepared to see some really old papers and some even older photos. Not sure if it's even okay to use papers from 2009, but that's exactly what I did. Hope you can forgive me ;-)

There is a fun challenge on October Afternoon's blog (yes, I love OA). It's called Negative/Positive and it is about using both positive and negative parts of a punched/cut out shape. That is something I do all the time and I think it might be my favorite technique right now, but I still wanted to challenge my self. I didn't want to do what I usually do i.e punch something out and then use it together with it's negative part, because then it wouldn't be a challenge, right? I wanted to come up with something else. Then I remembered! In my old OA stash I had a sheet with journaling cards from old Road Map collection. I pulled them out and came up with this:


I layered journaling cards behind my photos and used the negative "leftovers" to make my background more interesting. I have attached the negatives using 3d dots for more dimension. I took it further and used some negatives from the alpha stickers sheet. If you put aside the fact that I have used some really outdated papers (even though I still LOVE them!) I like how this one turned out :-)


These are one of the first pictures of us from the time when we were still dating (11 years ago!). We met on a frashman pranks party, and that's pretty much everything that we were doing the first couple of years of our life together - partying :-) In this photo, we are sitting in our (okay: his) classic Volkswagen minibus, a real party bus I'll tell you! It had a sofa and a table with holes to hold beer cans in place! Oh, and not to forget - it was yellow with cool surfing waves on both sides LOL Those were the days...

Thank you for taking your time to stop by me today. Hope you enjoyed your trip to the past ;-)

17 comments:

Zarah said...

Låter som en riktigt kul tid - och vilka söta foton på en härligt idéfylld LO! :D

(Outdated papper? Näerå. Så länge man gillar dem ska man använda dem. Det är INNE med retro, ju!! ;D)

danni reid. said...

sigh, love your take on this challenge!

Maja Stokk / eyovine said...

Så coolt =).Du är så påhittig. Låter som en härlig tid =)

Kramiz Maja

LG said...

this is brilliant Alex! I love everything about this page. I will keep my negatives from now on

Deanna said...

gorgeous!

pruts said...

great !!!!
hmm I must start keeping my negatives. :-) I also like the letters in your title .

Sherri said...

This is so crazy awesome Alex. L♥ve it, and I'm sure OA does too. You have such a wonderfully unique style girl. Have a great weekend.

~Tammy~ said...

This is an awesome layout~ As far as using older papers...who cares! Use your stash! I Love this and I wouldn't know if this is from 2012, 2009, or 1999.

alexandra s.m. said...

Boy, it sounds like you guys really had a lot of fun ;o)
I would have loved having such a camper!!!
I love your page, it's such a clever use of negative shapes alex!! really inspiring and needless to say these pictures are PRECIOUS!!

Nenne said...

Helt enkelt supercool layout! Dessutom är det inte bara ok att använda äldre papper utan nästan en utmaning i sig!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Wow!!! I love this sooo much!!! Such a arty layout using the negatives! Great page!!!

missusem said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweetest comment :). I really do appreciate it :).

I love your work too (and I'm a huge OA fan :) :)..

Have a great weekend!

xox

Mag said...

Beautiful take on this challenge !

Aga said...

Wow Alex, this looks fabulous!!! I simply love your use of negatives and love how you've made the older papers look modern :)

Shannon91 said...

Superbe !!! I love this layout ...
Bizz

yyam said...

Love the fun layers here with the paper folds! Too cool! Love the retro photos too! :)

Anna Sigga said...

WOW - this layout could not be more fabulous!